Academic Accommodations

Image of two girls on laptop
Students who need and request academic accommodations for their online courses must have a Student Accommodations Plan established at their home colleges with the appropriate Academic Accommodations/Disabilities Services Coordinator. Students are required to follow the policies/guidelines established at their home college; therefore, each college's documentation requirements and process will vary slightly.
Faculty and staff must complete the steps outlined in the Academic Accommodations Process below before any accommodations are granted to online students.  This must be done to help ensure that all documentation is on file, the correct accommodations are granted and that all students within the course are given the same opportunity to successfully complete the course.

Accommodations Process

  1. Student notifies their instructor that he/she needs or is working on receiving academic accommodations. 
  2. Student contacts the Academic Accommodations/Disabilities Services Coordinator at his/her college to complete necessary paperwork and provide required documentation.
  3. Either the student provides the instructor with college documentation of the Academic Accommodation, or the Disabilities Services Coordinator contacts the instructor with the student’s Accommodations Plan.
  4. Once verification that all appropriate documentation is on file and the correct accommodation is requested, the instructor makes the necessary adjustments for the student within the course.
It is the student's responsibility to inform the Disabilities Services Coordinator at his/her college that accommodations are needed.

In some cases, Disabilities Services Coordinator may decide to email or call instructors prior to the start of the term to discuss a student's Accommodations Plan.

Disability Services Coordinators at Each Partner College

Students who request academic accommodations for their online course(s) must have a Student Accommodations Plan established at their home college with the appropriate Academic Accommodations staff person or Disabilities Services Coordinator.  Please contact the following person at your college for assistance with the process.
Eastern Iowa Community Colleges
Clinton Community College
Marcia Larson
Muscatine Community College
Jill Holler
Scott Community College
Jan Weis
Iowa Lakes Community College
Jody Condon
800-242-5108 ext. 5219
North Area Iowa Community College
Lisa Vance

Northwest Iowa Community College
Leah Murphy
800-352-4907 ext. 118
Southeastern Iowa Community College
Angela Mickelson

Southwestern Iowa Community College
Deb Pantini
800-247-4023 ext. 458

Western Iowa Tech Iowa Community College
Michelle Fiechtner
800-352-4649 ext. 3216
Back to "Get Ready for Class"