Pearson eCollege provides all disabled faculty and students with access that exceeds the standards set by Section 508, the U.S. Federal Accessibility Standard for electronic and information technology.
They have provided the following:
• Courseware that not only serves the needs of disabled students taking online courses, but also disabled faculty authoring online courses.
• A support staff trained in assistive technologies, including 24x7 help desk specialists, instructional design consultants, and course developers.
• Immediate availability to all users with no new version purchase, upgrade or implementation required.
• Accessibility and support to the blind, deaf and mobility-impaired.
• A software feature set designed to improve accessibility and integrate with leading assistive technologies such as JAWS and Window-Eyes.
• A “chat” feature that provides a text-based HTML choice to the Java applet.
eCollege’s Section 508 compliance for technology-related programs and activities helps institutions meet the broader requirements of Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, which requires institutions to provide disabled individuals equal access to “a college, university, or other post secondary institution, or a public system of higher education.”